EuroBSDCon 2004 in Karsruhe, Germany
How to setup a Jail to ensure clean package builds on FreeBSD. Maiking it easy to distribute customize packages for a couple of machine. Also use as a testbed to compile new or modified ports.
1. Generation the packages
- Differences to the bento cluster system.
- Motivation to start this project
- INDEX problems, Customizing
- Preserving good builds and reusing them
- How to decide if a port needs to be rebuild
- build only the packages you need.
- running each day
- how to clean your distfiles
- Performance in FreeBSD4 vs. FreeBSD5
- Caveats: e.g. Linux emulations
2. Keeping up to date
- find outdated ports
- running through the dependency tree.
- create a list of installed packages.
- small and full upgrades.
- naming problems with autodetection.
TargetAudience - Everybody
TargetOS - FreeBSD
This Talk was awarded as "Best Paper".
Download Paper in pdf.